This Town Hall Meeting was assembled under the auspices of the United Action for Change non-governmental organization (www.uacng.org). It focused discussions on the
Nigerian Economy as it affects the citizens viz Power; Solid Minerals; Oil and Gas; Transportation; State of the economy and was themed ‘Way Forward for Nigerians’.
Moderated by Prof. Pat Utomi, it held at the Oranmiyan Hall, Airport Hotel, Lagos.
Here are some of his responses to issues and questions he deliberated with the attendees:
Pres. Muhammadu Buhari and I are completely committed to providing competent leadership. We have no other agenda. We acknowledge that there are pains but they are just
- We are currently compiling the social register for the poor. As soon as the budget is passed, we will begin to pay 5000 to the poor.
- Stealing and Corruption cuts across all ethnic groups. We must decide to become a new tribe of Nigerians. We must disallow division. We must also disallow the use of
religion or ethnicity.
- On the fuel crisis, only the NNPC is importing refined fuel. We are in the process of a final solution to the fuel scarcity.
- Public refineries are a problem. Private refi neries run better. We are seeking private investments in co-managing the refineries.
- On the Entertainment sector, We are working on solutions to piracy including technology options. Active advocacy and more collaboration between the Entertainment
industry and the government.
- Th e VP reiterates that the Lagos-Calabar project is in the budget. He says the most effective way of moving goods is by rail. So the Lagos-Calabar and Lagos-Kano
rails are in the budget.
- On Power: Nigeria recorded a peak of 5000 MW in February. We paid outstanding debts and curtailed vandalism. But the Forcados pipeline caused a drop of about 500MW.
- We are currently working on improving the supply of gas to power plant and fixing transmission line problems.
- 10. We have removed fixed tariff charges. You only pay for what you use. We are also engaged with labour unions on cost reflective tariffs.
- On the Yuan deal: The deal is we have some credit with the Chinese so doing business with the Chinese can be done without the dollar. Th e Yuan deal will help
facilitate trade with China and also help the ease of doing business.
- We want a country where anyone who holds public office must be able to explain their wealth.
- Nobody can enforce any type of right by violence. The use of violence to dispossess others is unacceptable.
We will continue with the town hall meetings across the country. You will be notified on the next one. It’s clear things will pan out well.