Nigeria to probe case of stranded Nigerians in Russia

Stranded Nigerians in Russia
Stranded Nigerians in Russia during their arrival at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport in Abuja on Friday.

Nigeria has resolved to investigate suspected human trafficking in the case of the 155 Nigerian football fans who got stranded in Russia after the World Cup tournament.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, revealed the plan to probe the incident at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja where he received the returnees.

The stranded Nigerians, who besieged the nation’s embassy in Moscow on July 12, were safely returned to the country following a directive by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Onyeama said after a discussion with the Director General of National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), Ms Julie Okah–Donli, it was clear that there were possible cases of human trafficking among the returnees.

“I have spoken to the DG of NAPTIP and she had also indicated that they had sounded the alarm bells for these young children not to leave the country, that it had all the hallmarks of trafficking and irregular migration,” he said.

The minister insisted that some of them, among whom was a nursing mother, were quite too young to have travelled to Russia by themselves solely for the purpose of the World Cup tournament.

He added that an investigation would also be launched into an allegation that some travel agents cancelled the return tickets of the football fans without informing them, leaving them stranded in the European country.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Garba Shehu, had revealed the Presidential directive in a statement, following the activities of the travel agents who reportedly cancelled the return tickets of their clients and abandoned them to their fate.

President Buhari had ordered Onyeama and the Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, to commence the process of repatriating the stranded Nigerians.

Shehu said the Presidential directive was in line with the policy of the Federal Government to ensure the welfare of all Nigerians in every part of the world.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Posts
Read More

Roseline Ogunro’s report, Radio Nigeria Announcer on Duty the day General Murtala Mohammed was killed

I was the early morning duty continuity announcer on Friday 13 February 1976, exactly 45 years ago. My shift commenced at 5:30 am and would have finished at 11:30 am. Things were going on smoothly until about 7:20 am when a rather scruffy man with red eyes as though under the influence of alcohol or other substances, in army uniform and armed with a gun, walked into the continuity studio with another army officer and one of my colleagues, a producer in the Hausa Service of Voice of Nigeria. The scruffy officer was later to announce that he was Dimka. He said as they came in, ‘any resistance from these people, shoot’. He then demanded to use my microphone. I got up and he took over my seat and my microphone. He then announced that there had been a coup and that the Head of State, General Murtala Mohammed had been killed. He proceeded to make the infamous ‘dawn to dusk curfew’. He read from a scrap of paper. After the announcement he asked if I had military (martial music) to which I said no. The colleague who accompanied the officers left immediately and returned quite quickly with a compilation of martial music records possibly from the music library. He seemed to have pre-compiled them. I was commanded to play them after Dimka’s announcement. I was not overly scared at this point. I thought to myself, ’just do as you are told’ especially as the man was armed with a gun.