NCP shuns Lagos bye-election

 

NCP shuns Lagos bye-election

The National Conscience Party (NCP) on Monday announced that it would not participate in the bye-election, slated for Sept. 30 in the Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State.

The election is to fill the vacant seat, arising from the death of the lawmaker representing the area, Mr Kazeem Alimi, who died on July 18.

The Lagos State Chairman of the NCP, Mr Fatai Ibu-Owo, told NAN that the NCP was not interested in the election and therefore, had no candidate.

He explained the party was currently pre-occupied with strategising for the 2019 elections and so had no time for the bye-election.

“We are not interested in the election, so we didn’t have any primary and so we don’t have a candidate.

“The party has been busy with early preparations for the 2019 general elections so that we can do well.

“Besides, we are concentrating so much on challenging the exclusion of our party in the July 22 council election in the state at the tribunal.

“It will amount to a waste of time and resources to partake in the bye-election with all we have in our hands. That’s why we are abstaining.”

Asked the stage of the party’s suit at the tribunal, the chairman said that the tribunal had ruled against the party’s prayer, asking for the cancellation of the election on the grounds of exclusion.

He explained that the judge’s reason was that directing a new election would be costly as much resource had been expended to conduct the July 22 polls.

“We are, however, not satisfied with the verdict and that is why we are appealing it.

“As a matter of fact, we are filing our appeal this week and we hope to get justice.”

Ibu-Owo pleaded with supporters of the party in the state to remain calm as the party would take the matter to its logical end.

The Accord Party had also said it would not participate in the bye-election.

The state Chairman of the party, Chief Gbenga Kool, told NAN that the party had no structure in Eti-Osa and would not waste time and resources to field a candidate in the election.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Posts
Read More

Glover Memorial Hall contractor hands over facility to LASG

Following the completion of the newly refurbished Glover Memorial Hall (GMH) by the Lagos State Government and the subsequent commissioning of the facility by Governor Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu earlier in March 2021, the Project Contractor, Sustainable Procurement Services Ltd on Thursday, officially handed over the facility to the State's Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture.
Read More

Examining Governor Sanwo-Olu’s 600 Days Of Making Lagos Greater

To aggressively address the challenge of bad roads and ease traffic congestions across the state, the first thing Governor Sanwo-Olu did on assumption of office was to introduce the ‘Zero Tolerance for Potholes Initiative’ by directing the Public Works Corporation to commence the patching and rehabilitation of the roads and the clearing and cleaning of all secondary and tertiary drainage systems to ensure the free flow of rainwater during the rainy season across the state. He also directed the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) to operate a minimum of two shifts by managing traffic until 11:00 pm daily.