UNICEF welcomes release of four girls abducted in Chibok

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) says it has welcomed the release of four girls abducted by terrorists in Kautikari, a village in Chibok Local Government of Borno State.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) says it has welcomed the release of four girls abducted by terrorists in Kautikari, a village in Chibok Local Government of Borno State.

The released girls were abducted from Kautikari community earlier this month in the Chibok Local Government Area.

UNICEF in a statement on Monday expressed relief over the freedom of the girls and called for the immediate release of all conflict-affected children held in captivity across the region.

“UNICEF is very relieved for the released girls and their families,” UNICEF representative in Nigeria, Peter Hawkins, said.

“After their harrowing experience, it is good news that the girls are back with their families and friends, where they belong. But sadly, dozens of children in north-east Nigeria remain in captivity; the victims of an armed conflict they have nothing to do with. This is unconscionable. Children have the right to a safe environment, health, education, and freedom from abuse and torture – all of which remain compromised when they are in captivity,’’ Hawkins added.

In 2014, Chibok gained global attention after 276 schoolgirls were abducted in the area.

According to UNICEF, about 173 of the Chibok girls were still missing. In January, many were also abducted in Pemi, another community in the Chibok LGA.

“Children are not the spoils of conflict. All children in captivity must be immediately and safely released to their families,” UNICEF said.

According to UNICEF data, at least 1,450 children were abducted, mostly from their schools, across the central and northwest regions of the country between December and July 2021.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Read More

2023 Presidential Election: Asiwaju, the real master of wealth creation

When it comes to the upcoming presidential election in 2023, Nigerians will have two options: They will either deplete the massive transformation efforts of the current Buhari government or will elect a resolute transformer who combines the core qualities of an actual master-wealth creator to lead the country to the promised land. We can only strategize against the defenestration of the country and its infrastructure to the state it was before Buhari took office. When it comes to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s transformational capacity, comprehension, qualities of creating wealth, using diversity to boost productivity as an outcome, and application of governance tools for the benefit of the people, he stands head and shoulders above the other candidates in this election.