Holy Cross Cathedral is an historical Lagos church building located at Catholic Mission Street opposite the city mall, Lagos Island. The Holy Cross Cathedral was built in 1932 by French Priest, Rev. Father Aime Simon and served as the diocesan headquarters of the Catholic Church in Lagos, therefore the seat of the Catholic Arch-Bishop of Lagos.
The aerial view of the Cathedral is actually a cross!.
Materials for the colorful stained black windows depicting the Christian faith were imported from France, (through an Architect’s brother). The church is in the style of the late eighteenth century European Gothic Renaissance, and, though timid and pale there by compares with the most mediocre achievement of the Gothic tradition, its customs, vaulted ribbed arches and flying buttresses create a loftiness that means to convey the awesome power of God. Unlike the Christ Church Cathedral having only one altar the Holy Cross Cathedral has a major altar and some special side chapels. The building is still in its original form externally, though minor renovation was carried out in the interior in 1973.