Security Agencies Identify 40 Suspects in Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu Government

Nigerian security agencies have concluded investigations into an alleged plot to violently overthrow the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, with 40 suspects identified and detained in connection with the conspiracy.

Nigerian security agencies have concluded investigations into an alleged plot to violently overthrow the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, with 40 suspects identified and detained in connection with the conspiracy.

The suspects comprise senior military officers across the Nigerian Armed Forces, a police officer, and several civilians alleged to have played roles in reconnaissance, funding, logistics, and propaganda.
According to a report by PREMIUM TIMES, the arrests followed a covert intelligence operation jointly coordinated by the Army Headquarters and the State Security Service (SSS). Thirteen suspects were apprehended by the SSS, including two military personnel—one of them retired—one police officer, and 10 civilians.
Investigators disclosed that 16 military officers were arrested for direct involvement in the alleged plot, while two civilians were linked to reconnaissance activities. Two others were accused of being recruited to incite civil disobedience as justification for a military takeover, and five suspects were allegedly connected to funding channels.
One soldier initially escaped from custody but was later rearrested by SSS operatives in Bauchi State.
On Monday, the Defence Headquarters confirmed that investigations into the matter had been concluded and forwarded to “appropriate superior authority in line with extant regulations.” Military authorities described the alleged actions of the officers involved as “inconsistent with the ethics, values and professional standards required of members of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.”
PREMIUM TIMES further reported that the alleged plot was initially conceived to disrupt the transfer of power from former President Muhammadu Buhari to President Tinubu during the presidential inauguration on 29 May 2023. However, the plan was reportedly shelved at the time due to inadequate funding and logistical constraints.
The investigation revealed that the plot was allegedly revived in 2025 after a former governor of Bayelsa State, Timipre Sylva, was said to have transferred nearly ₦1 billion in several tranches to three bank accounts operated by a Bureau De Change operator. Mr Sylva and a retired senior military officer, identified as Major General Adamu, are accused of financing the plot and are currently at large.
Security sources disclosed that intelligence tracking placed one of the fleeing suspects in a South American country, though further details were withheld for security reasons. Multiple security agencies are said to be collaborating to dismantle remaining cells linked to the alleged conspiracy, with surveillance and cross-border intelligence coordination ongoing.
Authorities are also awaiting presidential approval to constitute a court-martial panel to try the military personnel involved. Sources familiar with the investigation indicated that at least 25 military officers and personnel are expected to face trial.
In addition, an unspecified number of civilians are currently in custody and under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the SSS for alleged roles in financing, logistics, and coordination.
Alleged Assassination Targets
In an earlier report, PREMIUM TIMES quoted sources as claiming that top government officials were allegedly marked for assassination. Those reportedly listed included President Tinubu, Vice President Kashim Shettima, Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Speaker of the House of Representatives Tajudeen Abbas, as well as service chiefs and commanders.
Investigators also alleged that some officers were assigned to take control of strategic locations, including the Presidential Villa, Niger Barracks, the Armed Forces of Nigeria Complex, and the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

Identified Suspects
The list of suspects obtained by PREMIUM TIMES includes senior officers such as Brigadier General M.A. Sadiq of the Army Headquarters Garrison; Colonel M.A. Ma’aji of the Defence Space Administration; and Lieutenant Colonel S. Bappah of the 525 Signal Regiment, among others.
Also listed are officers from special forces units, majors, captains, lieutenants, non-commissioned officers, and civilians, including workers linked to facilities around the Presidential Villa and individuals allegedly involved in propaganda activities. Details regarding six other suspects were still unclear as of press time.
Security agencies say investigations remain ongoing as efforts continue to bring all suspects connected to the alleged plot to justice.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts