NUJ condemns Fani-Kayode’s attack on Daily Trust correspondent

NUJ blasts Femi Fani-Kayode, says attack on Daily Trust Reporter totally reprehensible

The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) has condemned the alleged verbal assault on the Cross River Correspondent of Daily Trust Newspaper, Mr Charles Eyo, by a former Minister of Aviation, Mr Femi Fani-Kayode.

NUJ President, Mr Chris Isiguzo, in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja said Fani-Kayode’s threat to Eyo had exposed him as intolerant.

The former minister was said to have verbally assaulted the journalist at a press conference in Calabar, the Cross River capital, while responding to a question by the journalist.

“It is instructive to remind the likes of Fani-Kayode that it is the constitutional right of journalists to monitor and keep a check on people and institutions in power.

“By delving into politics and holding political office, Kayode is very conversant with the watchdog role of the media.

“For him to have embarked on assessment of projects in some states, even though we are yet to be told under what platform he is doing so, it is proper for the media to hold him to account for his actions and decisions.

“His reaction was totally unacceptable, dishonourable and reprehensible and we demand for retraction of his untoward, irritating and awkward utterances which negate simple decorum and civiity.

“We are more shocked that the same Fani-Kayode who had in recent times, used his social media handles to call leaders to account is at the same time attacking a journalist,” Iziguzo said.

The NUJ president said Fani-Kayode’s threat over a simple question on who was behind his nationwide tour was disappointing

According to Isiguzo, Fani-Kayode had already visited six states during his nationwide tour.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Read More

Ijesha Fire: LASEMA releases post-disaster report

A building on Market Street, off Ijesha, in Surulere, Lagos, housing nine apartments and 12 shops, was on Saturday evening, gutted by fire, caused by a faulty cooking gas valve that exploded, according to the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA). In a post-disaster evaluation, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, the agency’s Director-General, disclosed on Sunday that no life was, however, lost in the blaze owing to the quick appearance of LASEMA as first responders. “The bungalow property comprised nine rooms, including 12 shops was extensively damage. The agency worked alongside the Lagos State Fire Service to extinguish the fire and the operation was concluded in just under two hours on Saturday. READ ALSO Fire razes popular Apongbon Market “The entire building has been destroyed and will require integrity testing by the Lagos State Building Control Agency LABSCA, while the building has been cordoned off accordingly,” Oke-Osanyintolu said. He attributed the incident to the carelessness of one of the tenants, who was cooking with a leaking gas cylinder, which affected other people’s properties in the building. Oke-Osanyintolu urged residents to keep off the scene, while also advising members of the public to ensure that their gas cylinders are always in good condition, to avoid fire outbreak. The affected residents pleaded with the Lagos State Government to provide them with shelter, while the shop owners are seeking financial support from the Government.