Lagos To Make Waste Sorting At Source Mandatory

The Lagos State Government is set to make waste sorting at source mandatory as part of a broader strategy to modernise waste management and unlock the economic value embedded in waste.

 

The Lagos State Government is set to make waste sorting at source mandatory as part of a broader strategy to modernise waste management and unlock the economic value embedded in waste.

This was made known on Tuesday by the MD/CEO of LAWMA, Dr. Muyiwa Gbadegesin, while featuring on a TV programme, “The Conversation”, on LTV.

He said that the move, which aligned with global best practices, would be backed by a review of the enabling legal framework, currently underway, to provide the necessary regulatory support for compulsory separation of waste at the point of generation.

Under the new direction, waste will no longer be treated solely as a disposal challenge but as an economic resource, as the state is strengthening its waste-to-wealth agenda, positioning recycling and material recovery as key drivers of a more efficient and sustainable waste management system.

He explained that the new policy direction was in sync with Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s vision of transitioning from a landfill-focused waste management system to one centred on material recovery and recycling.

This strategic shift is expected to reduce pressure on landfills, promote circular economy practices, and encourage private investment in recycling infrastructure.

“To support improved service delivery, the government is also considering mechanisms to assist Private Sector Participation (PSP) operators with access to new compactor trucks, recognising the capital-intensive nature of waste collection and the need to strengthen operational capacity across the system”, he stated.

On service quality and accountability, Dr. Gbadegesin disclosed that sanctions would be implemented against 22 underperforming PSP operators following repeated warnings and performance reviews.

“This follows a similar decisive action in which 27 PSP operators were disengaged last year for failure to meet required service standards,” he said.

He reiterated that the success of the initiative would depend on a combination of effective regulation, improved infrastructure, private sector participation, and responsible citizen behaviour, noting that waste sorting at source was fundamental to achieving a cleaner, healthier, and more resilient Lagos.

 

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Read More

LASG to reward visual artists with ₦5 million at National Cultural Festival

As part of the side attractions for this year's National Festival for Arts and Culture, NAFEST 2022, being hosted by the Lagos State Government, the Chairman of the Planning Committee for the event, Otunba Olusegun Runsewe has announced that a sum of ₦5,000,000 (Five Million Naira) has been set aside as the star prize for best visual artists that will participate in the week-long event.