Africa in trouble: Coronavirus lands in Egypt

Africa in trouble: Coronavirus lands in Egypt

The dreaded and deadly Coronavirus has landed in Egypt, the country’s Health Ministry said on Friday.

The ministry said it has a confirmed case of the novel coronavirus.

The sufferer was not Egyptian, the ministry said in a statement, without specifying the nationality.

“The ministry has taken preventative measures and is monitoring the patient… who is stable,” said health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed.

According to AFP, Egyptian authorities had notified the World Health Organization and the patient been placed in quarantined isolation in hospital.

The death toll from the epidemic virus has neared 1,400 cases, almost exclusively in China where it was first identified.

Deep trade links with China and often overstretched healthcare systems have raised concerns about the capacity of African countries to respond to an outbreak.

Earlier this month, Egypt suspended all flights on its national carrier to China. They will remain grounded until the end of the month.

Three hundred and one Egyptians were evacuated from Wuhan, epicentre of the virus in China, and have remained in quarantine for 14 days, AFP reports.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Read More

Military backs drug war as Marwa meets CDS, other Service Chiefs

Efforts to mobilise more support for the ongoing war against illicit drug trafficking and abuse in the country received a boost from the Armed Forces on Thursday when the Chief of Defence Staff, General Leo Irabor, and the service chiefs met with Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd).